Wednesday, March 16, 2011

A Trailer of Epic Proportions

Judging by all of the AMAZING project proposals thus far,
I've decided to reconsider my concept, and offer a medium that has not yet been touched upon.
The material that we have been working with so far in this course has completely reshaped my views on the world around me, and since I believe that visual representations can have such a strong effect on our brain, I have chosen to focus my project on video/film/sound.

The idea of transformative storytelling has been one of my favourite topics in this class, and since film is a very important, and an obvious way to convey meaning through multiple images per second I have been researching both genres, and popular films to create an idea that will be understood to great degree by every classmate (hopefully). Essentially, I plan on creating an "recut" movie trailer for a film involving two very well-known movie characters, where the concept of the original footage will be reinterpreted on a completely new level. My hope is that I will learn, as well as you, that film genre, and character development can be manipulated on very different levels, with endless subjective views.

My project will also relate well to the cut-up method, where remixing image and sound can actually provide new material all together, while still relying heavily on the original. Essentially, I am hoping for you to see a brand new piece, with the origins still shining through. I am going to leave both the film, and the two main characters as a secret, so that reactions and expectations can be both honest and spontaneous, as I feel that remix works best in this light. The fan fiction counterculture will also be influencing my choices and decisions during production. Throughout my research I have noticed that fan fiction is actually a legitimate practice where members of our culture are able to freely express what they see beneath the original text, and take control, in order to provide alternatives to previous remixes and originality.

With all of this in mind, I am posting a link to an recut movie trailer of Mary Poppins, which actually inspired my decision quite heavily, and lead me to my production today.

ENJOY! check out all the other related videos as well, they are both hilarious, as well as extremely creative!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2T5_0AGdFic

No comments:

Post a Comment