Wednesday, March 2, 2011

"Art Without a Beginning or an End" M.C Esher

Reading Jean Baudrillard’s “Simulacra and Simulations” made it clear that life today as the hyperreal is life comprised of series of copies or references without an origin. The terms hyperreal and simulacrum are very modern terms that will be replacing or used in the definitions of words like originality, art, reference and so on. Simulacrum means copy without an original, infinite and endlessly reproducing, which brings me to reappropriating “art without a beginning or an end” as M.C Esher presented. To me this concept is a good symbol to exemplify how people go in circles trying to find a referent or something original. Art and literature has endless referents and comparing this confusing, endless, and abstract thought to the film Inception was my primary reaction. Especially when Kevin Hatch was presenting during lecture, all I could think about were the paradoxal architecture and design that Joseph Gorden-Levitt (Arthur) was teaching Ellen Page (Ariadne) in the movie. The paradoxal universe that Page was taught to create is very similar to the designs Hatch had on his presentation slides.

Example from Inception: The infinite stair case


here is another example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lKSUfcHVIJQ

Applying the physical paradox to a thought process, song or piece of art can be tricky. Here is a mini example of the way I see it with remix music. Remix music has become so popular that now there are remixes of remixes, the referent is sometimes really difficult to find because everything about the song is re written, voice has changed, even the title is different! Here is an example of a song I love, that is a remix of a remix. I heard the remix of a remix before I heard the original, and first remix. Some people might not realize the final product is even a remix at all.

>>>Original:


>>>Friendly Fires remixed it, then Aeroplane remixed it on top of that remix:

>>>Remix of the remix (My Favorite) (NOTE: Name changed from Crave You to I Crave Paris)


2 comments:

  1. I absolutely LOVE this song! What I find really interesting is that you and I BOTH heard the remix version that you posted before we heard the original. The most striking thing about these ideas of copies, and the disability to find the origin of original is that when such copies (or remixes) are made, the beginning and ending point don't seem to matter anymore. Remixes are so useful in the way that they intend to appeal to everyone, if there was something lacking in the original version of this song, it can be modified to fit the tastes of other targeted audiences. Very cool.
    Perhaps this is what remix is attempting to show us; that no matter what we interact with (music, film, television, etc.) everything can be viewed as incomplete. Remixes of remixes are especially interesting because they keep the beginning stage, while simultaneously adding new ending points. The finished product typically ends up being remarkable, and if the remixers are successful their audience will be able to appreciate a completely new piece of art (though the remnants of the past should still be acknowledged -- even if just subconsciously).
    I'm excited to see the product of your Remix Final Project!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a good song, right? I like the concept you used: "the disability" to find the origin of the original. I also find it interesting how you described remixes being "useful" in the case that the "original" song is lacking something. If you look at it that way, music producers are building bridges and bridging gaps between all genres and walks of life. This is definitly something my group is building on for our final project. Taking a song, and turning it into a completely different genre to appeal to an even wider range of audience.

    Music producers constantly find things lacking in songs, or they see the song's potential to grow into something better, or different. This is similar to how I see humans, there is always something we can do to better ourselves and better the world. No one can say "I am the best" because there is always something more you can do to get "better". Humans are a prime example of remix, we are living animals with cognitive abilities to grow and continue learning, we are what our environment and experiences influenced us to be, and our lives can change in a split second. I feel the older I am getting the more I like myself, and hopefully that continues until the day I die. There is always something we can do better to ourselves, to our music, to our food, and literature. remix is essential.

    Sorry for rambling on!

    M

    ReplyDelete