Friday, March 18, 2011

is this remixing?

this is something i literally stumbled upon today, weavesilk.com

It is an interactive site which allows anyone to create a different work of art with the same tools. The user creates lines which, when finished, produce waves which the user can control by pressing shift and moving the mouse. the waves stop when they fall off the page or when the user presses s on the keyboard.

Once it is finished, you can share your work with your friends wither on facebook or twitter

This kind of participatory art results in many different images from the same tools and elements. With the sharing capability, friends and family members can participate in these works together and interact with the site and with one another.

SO,

here is mine!

http://weavesilk.com/?1zrh

post yours in the comments! (click the share button to get the url)

4 comments:

  1. here's mine! (weavesilk.com/?209y)

    great example of participatory art, thanks for sharing Anna! (just what i needed to procrastinate a little more today.. haha)

    ReplyDelete
  2. yours is so much better than mine, by the way

    ReplyDelete
  3. oooh, very nice :)
    I love that you can watch them get made when yo ugo to the url, it makes you feel even more involved in the process and the end result

    ReplyDelete
  4. When I started playing around with this, I immediately thought of Tinkerbell from Peter Pan and her fairy dust. I find it kind of funny how even though that does not really relate at all to the actual concept, I managed to make to connect in my own way and essentially create my own referent.

    I loved how everyone is given the same tools to create a product but no matter what, the end product is always different.

    This reminded me of a website I came across in one of my anthropology classes last semester.

    http://redstudio.moma.org/interactives/remix/index_f.html

    Check it out! Some of the works created that are provided for you to see are amazing! When I tried it, it took a lot of work to come up with the ideas for a picture and becoming familiar enough to manipulate the photos into something completely different is more difficult than it looks!

    ReplyDelete