Sunday, March 20, 2011

Tool on many Koto

A friend of mine brought a really cool interpretation of this song, by Tool to my attention;



(I apologize for the fan video).

Before I show the really nifty interpretation of this song, I'd like to point out that this song plays a lot with the Fibonacci sequence, which harked back to a class a few weeks ago where paintings by Escher were shown with relations to Baudrillards simulacra and hyperreality. Both this song and the Escher paintings are very much based on mathematical patters.

Now I present a very impressive interpretation of the song;



I really love this interpretation of the song. What I find most intriguing about interpretations done on non-western instruments is that the Koto is usually tuned to the Pentatonic scale, while Western music is usually played on instruments that are tuned to classical scales. However, the instruments used here are easily tuned to many different scales, permitting an interesting interpretation and remix that injects new meaning that bridges cultural gaps in music, but that still maintains the original Fibonacci sequence and the changing 9/8, 8/8 to 7/8 time signature sequence, thereby maintaining Tool's original thoughtful placement mathematical meaning.

No comments:

Post a Comment