Saturday, March 5, 2011

Style & Gender Remixed

I want to bring attention to the fact that we remix everyday. For example we remix our style, gender construction before we even start our day. We remix our style and gender construct every morning while we are getting dressed, some days I wear patterns, textures, and I even clash colours. I do this depending on the mood and type of day I have. I like to use different patterns on top of different textures and this is what I call a ‘fabric remix’. The clothes are all made in different places, ‘made in China’, ‘made in India’, ‘made in the U.S.A’, ‘made in Italy’, etc. I am remixing culture and textures from different places, and when I weather leather and fur I am remixing animals (sorry for any vegetarians/vegans reading this blog, all my furs are vintage if that helps). My point is that I am able to own pieces from all different locales and cultures and remix them together into one outfit for the purpose of self-expression. I also wear vintage pieces, usually stolen from my grandma and remix them with high designer brands.

We remix gender by the way we act, the way we present ourselves, and the way we dress. I tend to do many things that people point out are “un-lady like” such as burping out loud, stuffing my face, swearing etc. I also often wear boys clothing, baggy t-shirts, baggy jeans, mens sunglasses, my boyfriend’s hats, sweaters etc. At the same time I am “dressing as a boy” I still wear makeup, dye my hair, paint my nails and so on. I actually usually prefer unisex clothes, and styles and I prefer cologne over perfume. I call this a 'gender remix' obviously different from drag, but then again according to feminist theorist Judith Halbertstam everyone performs drag because everyone performs and acts according to a certain gender construct, whether accepted by society or not (212).

Even though Ive always worn boy clothes ever since my heavy metal/hardcore days back in highschool (when it was very un-popular and I got made fun of every day) it is now found in all angles of the fashion industry. Gender reversed and unisex clothing is in. High fashion today is very much unisex based or I like to call it "gender remixed." Lots of female models are chosen because they look boy-ish, and lots of transvestite male models are chosen for their unique bone structures and their boxy body shape. Men are wearing skirts, and women are wearing drop crotch pants. Big boobs are out, and flat chested is in. The reverse role is highly popular now, and if you haven't noticed already I am sure you will start to notice now.

We either act according to our specific gender, or we don’t, luckily today falling between gender cracks and remixing all genders together in an outfit has become more accepted in society. This step in fashion is also a great leap for feminist theorists who are continually trying to break down the gender barriers. Excited to see whats going to come in the future!

Here is an example of a model who looks quite boyish, but can also remain feminine at the same time

Aggy Deyn:

Link for the rest of her photoshoot by the famous Hedi Slimane HERE

Source:

Halberstam, Judith. “F2M: The Making of Female Masculinity.” The Lesbian Postmodern. Ed. Laura Doan. New York: Columbia UP, 1994. 210-228. 0-231- 08411-0. 267p.


4 comments:

  1. Your discussion of gender remix reminds me of Judith Butler's concept of gender performance, which suggests that we construct gender by acting out or performing social and cultural norms, roles and expectations. The common example used to illustrate gender performance is drag, as an overextended performance of femininity or masculinity by the opposing sex, which you already discussed in a previous post about cross-dressing. Much like your example of Aggy Deyn, I would also suggest that male model Andrej Pejic remixes gender, as he looks very androgynous, a trait which won him the new Marc Jacobs campaign in January. I think fashion is a very significant place to look at for instances of gender-bender or gender remix, as what we wear and how we look is so integral to how we perform gender in different times and spaces.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What I find really interesting about fashion/style/personal appearance these days is that 'remix' has moved almost from a practice to a distinct image unto itself. As eclectic attire has become more culturally acceptable, the 'cobbled together' look has become a style, complete with associated ideological connotations, and can now be read as being 'cool', rather than attracting the sort of stigma you mention your heavy metal attire drew in high school. What I find intriguing about this is that it's essentially the fashion equivalent of remix music becoming a genre rather than a technique. I wonder: do you think this cultural acceptance and establishment of a set mould of remix (whether it be aesthetically, musically or whatever else) in a way takes away from the inventive and innovative spirit that remix is recognized as initially starting with? Or does the cultural support and championing of such a piecemeal look only help it to flourish, keeping the spirit of working towards a unique look without neutering it of its uniqueness?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmm those are very interesting questions, they had me thinking for a few days. Does this mean creative remixes (since they are now mainstream) are less creative because everyone is doing them whether aesthetically (clothing-wise) or musically? I think because they are more widely accepted, and because remix is now mainstream, it is much more difficult to be viewed as "creative" from remixing style or music since there is much more competition. Since every person remixes style, it is hard for someone's style to stand out as a remix. this might be discouraging or it could be encouraging to continue working towards a unique look.

    This can go both ways: the first can be discouraging people who are less creative (cultural dupes) but in many cases this will provide motivation for people to really challenge their ability and unique-ness to remix style. This will motivate people to break the remix molds today and go further then what has been done (similar to Lady Gaga's style, it really goes beyond people's expectations i.e. arriving on the red carpet in an egg designed by London-based fashion designer Hussein Chalayan)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't know if this idea of a constant remix has killed the idea of creativity, or if it has just eliminated some of the enigma that creativity previously had. By this I mean, that in our own right, we can feel as if we are being creative in things like music and fashion. If we haven't heard or seen a certain thing in depth, or even at all, we can still feel as if we are "creative" when we come up with something "new"--even if somewhere, someone has done the same thing.
    I feel that because creativity no longer has such a unique enigma surrounding it, that we now almost have a fear of infringing on someone else's creative product. No one wants to be a copy, its 1) boring and 2) we can easily become labled "un-creative" or even as a poser. It's like we want to be creative, and feel special when we think we come up with something that we feel is unique (even though it has probably been done before) but then if we actively try to copy something that is popular (like a fashion trend) we are labelled as lacking in creativity.

    ReplyDelete