Saturday, March 26, 2011

Sheening and Fridays

There are two things that seem to have taken over the entertainment world: Charlie Sheen's "winning insanity" and Rebecca Black's "song" Friday. I will admit, that I have some interst in both of these cultural items, but what I can't seem to discern is if they are a parody or not.

Although Charlie Sheen seems certifiably insane in his actions, he may be playing it up. Why? Fame? Fortune? It's hard to say. I remember reading somewhere that the viewership of his show sky rocketed following another public drunken binge on his part, so perhaps he is playing up his actions for increased fame, and the perks that come with it. I just don't know. But I do know that if we examine Charlie Sheen through a cultural studies persepective, he seems to be parodying his world, the entertainment world we find so addictive.

In the case of Rebecca Black, many people do not know her song Friday is a remix of a Bob Dylan song (and it sounds a little more sincere when he sings it) I cannot help but wonder if her horrible rendition of Bob Dylan's song is poking fun at the direction our main stream music culture is heading, or if she is being sincere. I mean, the girl can actually sing, and well too. But she chose to make her song one which is digitized, mostly monotone, and auto-tuned to the max. If the former, then there is a chance that she her remix of Bob Dyan's song may be helping us see how complely digitized and "synthetic" our current music culture is. If the later...well I really just don't know how I will feel about that.

3 comments:

  1. Until last Monday in lecture, I had never even heard of Rebecca Black and her "new" song. A few reasons may be I was away from my computer for 4 days which seems like a lot of time to not be in touch with your computer or it could be because of my inactivity on Facebook.

    After hearing this creation of words some may call a song followed by the music video, I became an immediate follower. It amazes me how much social media, YouTube and the internet has changed our world.

    Personally, I think as an online culture we need to wrap our heads around the grey area of what is a good, successful music artist and define the "black" and white of the young YouTube artists. Because some people are watching this video for the reason that "YA REBECCAS SONG IS UNREAL" but others...... thats for you to fill in.

    By all means, if that's how some can get famous, my hat is off to you. Best of luck to all YouTube creations!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cassy, I definitely agree with you when you say that it is helping us see how digitized and synthetic our current music industry is. I mean there are claims that Rebecca Black is being sincere, but, regardless of her 'sincere' intent, the entire song has become a joke among the entire media industry. Her 'record producers' must have known that this would be the outcome... as would anyone after listening to it for 10 seconds. I think that it is remakes such as these, taking classic songs and turning them into awful pop sensations, point out how much the music industry has changed. Is remix to blame? Is it artists such as Rebecca Black that are damaging the reputation of remixed music?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can I just say, I had no idea the RB song was a BD song?! WHAT?!

    On another note, these gentlemen take that remix one step further with changing it's presentation again: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QsPrE4NCnA4

    ReplyDelete