Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Girl Talk talks the Talk

Girl Talk, one of musics new hottest DJ is a computer artist that combines a number of artists songs together to compose a new song. After yesterdays's presentations I realized and felt what it was like to be an author of something that actually means something to you, something that you have put time and effort into and is tangible. Unlike essays and written assignments I felt like a remixed author as I along with the rest of the class had taken something and made it new. Similar to Gregg Gillis (Girl Talk) he has started with material that has been created and remixed it into a new song. Here is an example of one of his songs Can't Stop- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OPZvZO3PAGE&feature=related

Check out an interview done with Girl Talk here. http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/02/28/one-on-one-girl-talk-computer-musician/

You music is made up of other people’s music. Have you faced any copyright issues?
I put my music out there and hope for the best. It is clearly in a gray area but I believe it should fall into fair use under copyright law. I feel like people are not listening to my music instead of buying a CD or album of an artist I feature. Instead, people find new musicians because of a sample on one of my records.



I found that this was a very interesting quote referring to authorship and copyright issues that we have discussed as a class and throughout our blog. 

No comments:

Post a Comment