Monday, February 28, 2011

Cross-Dressing as Remix Culture

The idea of cross-dressing as remix had not crossed my mind once until I came across the photos below. Cross-dressing is not a recent phenomena, but one that has taken place throughout history, although it is much more accepted in today’s society. Here is a photo of the famous Anna Wintour (Editor-in-chief Vogue) and Grace Coddington (Creative Director at Vogue) imitated by Andres Borque and Luis Venegas and shot for Candy Magazine by Bret Lloyd and styled by Ana Murillas. I think that these lovely lady men look completely spot on and I probably wouldn’t have even known the difference if the spread wasn’t done for a transvestite fashion mag.


Drag Versions:


Candy Magazine, the style mag, which is completely dedicated to celebrating transvestism, transexuality, cross dressing and androgyny, did a great job at trasforming editor Luis Venegas and model Andrès Borque into the biggest names in the fashion industry. The first thought that came to my head was how this is a remix of people, style and imitation. As I did further research on the topic I was quick to learn most drag queens always have someone in mind when they dress up, such as a celebrity. Popular imitations are Cher and Madonna. Using out outlines from our remix class to imitate/impersonate someone else or a different gender is a form of copying and remixing, but I bet no one thought to attach a copy right to this act. Is it because visually the referent is much easier to identify? Or is it because the drag queen is not using tangible items taken from the original to remix their look? This is just a thought? Any comments? I tried to research on copyrig
hts and drag and found nothing let me know if you find anything!

Original Anna and Grace:
Source for images: Google
Source for story: Candy Mag & Coco Perez

No comments:

Post a Comment